BIOSUPERFOOD contains extraordinary antioxidant compounds such as alpha-carotene and beta-carotene, known as "pro-pro vitamin A" for their capacity to not only traverse the cell membrane but to span across it.
An antioxidant is a molecule capable of slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that transfers electrons from a substance to an oxidizing agent. Oxidation reactions can produce free radicals, which start chain reactions that damage cells. Antioxidants terminate these chain reactions by removing free radical intermediates, and inhibit other oxidation reactions by being oxidized themselves.
It’s also known today that the orange and red pigments have the most antioxidative and protection powers due to their molecular shape and properties. For example, beta carotene, the orange pigments of carrots or the red lycopene of tomatoes, have molecular shapes allowing them to easily travel across the blood-brain barrier, even across the blood-ocular barrier, hence the popular saying "you've never seen a rabbit wearing glasses". Our formula contains a high level of astaxanthin, the star of antioxidants. Astaxanthin is a pigment of the carotenoid complex present in large amount in Haematococcus Pluvialis, one of the four microalgae in BIOSUPERFOOD. It is an oxygenated pigment called a xanthophyll. Its unique molecular structure gives it a superior antioxidant capacity.
Benefits of Astaxanthin:
- 10 to 40 times more effective as an antioxidant than beta-carotene
- 500 to 1000 times more effective in inhibiting lipid peroxidation as an antioxidant than Vitamin E
- Has greater anti-inflammatory capability than Vitamin E
- Has almost 4 times the antioxidant capacity of lutein
- Offers superior protection against UVA and UVB light-induced oxidative stress more stable in scavenging and quenching than b-carotene canthaxanthin and zeaxanthin
- Highly potent in enhancing the production of T1 and T2 cancer killing cells
- More effective than lycopene and lutein in enhancing liver microsome detoxification activity
- Enhances the actions of Vitamins C and E in the body
- Enhances the release of retinol (Vitamin A) from the liver
All this enables astaxanthin to: support joints & tendons, improve cardiovascular health, increase energy, strength & endurance, and correct the balance of blood lipids.